There are four key distinctions that set the Urantia Book apart from other theologies; these distinctions, or positions on reality, are unique only to the Urantia Book.
These four distinctions might be considered revelatory in scope and originality because, prior to 1955, these expanded concepts were non-existent in mainstream theological teachings.
Since 1955, when the Urantia Book became available, hundreds of thousands of readers have had a chance to study the text (over a million copies have been sold or downloaded); most are convinced the concepts are both possible and authentically original, hence their revelatory nature.
Consider these points in what the Urantia Book states:
1. Eschatological Specifics on the Hierarchy of God’s Cosmic Family or “Offspring.” The Urantia Book provides specific details on who Deity is and its relationship to a long and exhaustive list of personality beings (including ourselves) who comprise the universe at the present time, beings we are told who do the work of universal administration and spiritual ministry throughout time and space.
Pause to consider that, long before our own solar system was formed, there was space and time evolution – 14 billion years of space and time, according to our theorists, plenty of time for other beings of varying natures to have been “born” or to have “come into existence,” in ways we can not even comprehend. In the Urantia Book narrative, we are presented with the entire cosmic offspring of Deity – made up of spiritual and material personalities with specific functions and purpose – we are even told their names. The specificity given is both consistent and comprehensive.
2. Life after Death. We now have a specific and detailed narrative of what happens when we die, even being told the process of actual resurrection. The Urantia Book provides at least 4 specific chapters on the ascension process and what transpires between the time we pass from this life and what happens when we resurrect as newly born spirit-ascendant beings. No other theology dares an attempt to explain the process of personality or soul survival, but most religions propose an afterlife reality. The Urantia Book provides a plausible construct that is both logical AND comforting to all people who believe such a spiritual afterlife is not only possible, but inevitable.
3. Extra Terrestrial, or Exo-Planetary Life. The Urantia Book is the only book (of which I am aware) that fully embraces the notion of ‘other worlds with life;’ going further, the Urantia Book expands upon this concept to include an entire universe of life-evolving spheres home to races and species of varying types. While none of this can be proven of course, the Urantia Book is the first extensive theology that combines evolutionary physical life (coordinated and administered to by spiritual beings) that runs parallel with an advanced spiritual community that awaits us when we pass from this life to the next.
In short, the Urantia Book describes a universe filled with ascendant beings just like ourselves who, at some point, will progress away from the mortal time-space realm to a more advanced non-material realm. the Urantia Book states it is this reality that is actually happening now, we just don’t see it because 1) we are not spiritually advanced, 2) previous revelations that would have informed us of this fact (of other, more spiritually-advanced life forms) were cut-short and eventually lost to the world, and 3) we have yet to discover any life forms beyond our own to substantiate these claims.
Astronomers now believe that there are most likely millions of worlds with life. When the Urantia Book was written in 1934 hardly anyone believed life was possible outside of our solar system (remember the goldilocks premise?). Hence the Urantia Book is not only advanced in presenting ET life, but goes into great detail on the kinds of life we can expect to discover once these discoveries are made (The Urantia Book states there is, in “close proximity” a world of living will creatures called “Non-breathers;” some believe this world may be one of the moons of Jupiter or Saturn).
4. The Exhaustive Narrative of Jesus’s Life and Teachings. In no other writing is there such an exhaustive retelling of Jesus’s entire life that is both consistent with the Gospels (though not in all of their teachings and interpretations of events recorded in the New Testament), and is also historically accurate when depicting the cultural and living conditions of the times in which Jesus lived. The stated reason for this retelling is because Jesus’ life was not only significant to us, but the universe found great significance of his mortal life because Jesus was an incarnated Son of God the Father, “an only begotten Son,” who choose our world to live as a human being to reveal the Fathers’ nature and personality, and also to experience life as a mortal human being.
To summarize our thesis, we claim the Urantia Book is a revelation of new information because of at least four distinctions that sets this text apart from other theological teachings, which include:
1. The spirit world specifically detailed
2. A full narration of the after life is explained
3. An explanation of life on other worlds is presented and explained (which is consistent with current astronomic theory)
4. A full description of Jesus’ life, including his death, resurrection and subsequent ascendency after Pentecost.
These distinctions are important because they denote potential transition of human development IF this revelation gains acceptance.
This is what revelation does. It pushes evolution along (and it usually starts with a small group of “early adapters”). Once the printing press was invented illiteracy decreased and human knowledge increased, Having increased, human behavior starts to change faster, which is what we saw in the 17th and 18th Century. Once we harnessed electricity human engagement and performance became more efficient and productive – and life changed rapidly.
In spiritual terms, once Jesus lived and taught new truth – and we saw that resurrection was possible – another world was opened to humanity, a world which included not just our life in the flesh, but an eternal life of continuous adventure and learning.
Religion has evolved tremendously since Jesus’s time. And so it is that if the Urantia Book is a true revelation, then it too will open the doors to new human understanding, and further, we will have gained new spiritual insight as to our purpose and destiny as will creatures of soul-potential, and as citizens of this beautiful blue planet they call Urantia.
James R. Watkins is a student of the Urantia Book and the producer of Inside Look, a new video web series that delves into the Urantia book teachings.